Meeting of the Parish Council at 7:30PM on Thursday 21st June 2018 at Bromyard and Winslow Town Council Offices
Present: Paul Friend (Chair), Shaun Simpson, Karen Rock, David Boddington, Helen Allan, Dave Cave (from 20:08PM)
In attendance: David Hunter-Miller (Clerk), Nigel Shaw (Ward Councillor), member of the public
1. Apologies for absence
Pete Stoddart had resigned from the Parish Council; notices for the vacancy would be prepared accordingly. The Parish Council extended their thanks for his hard work in the community.
Apologies were received from Gill Williams.
2. Declarations of interest
4. Open Session
The meeting was adjourned for the open session.
1. Report from the Ward Councillor
Nigel Shaw provided a report as follows:
• He had attended the opening of the play area at Brockhampton School.
• Herefordshire Council Cabinet was due to meet and to approve using an additional £2.2 million for roads and £2 million for children’s services from council reserves.
• 2018/19 budget consultation would be introduced.
• Herefordshire Council’s end of year accounts had been published.
A query was raised on foster care. Funding for school nurses was also queried as it was noted that this valuable service was in decline.
2. Report from Bromyard Downs Common Association
The BDCA AGM was held recently including a presentation on wildlife rescue. Jan Densham had been elected Chair and James Hawkins Vice-Chair.
3. Report from Bringsty Common Manorial Court
Natural England had asked for a woodland management plan and feasibility study, work on which was ongoing. The bracken burn project had come to an end.
4. Report from the Footpaths Officer
The Footpaths Officer had recommended using sleepers to bridge ditches on the public right of way network. It was hoped that wood could be sourced locally to enable the project to progress.
5. Public participation
No questions were received.
The meeting resumed following the open session.
5. To consider and adopt the minutes from the Parish Council meeting on the 17th May 2018.
The minutes were agreed as a true record and were signed by the Chair.
6. Progress reports
1. Vacancies and co-option
It was confirmed that vacancy notices would be advertised, there would then be a total of seven vacancies on the group Parish Council.
2. Planning enforcement (Linton)
It was noted that Herefordshire Council Planning Enforcement Officers were monitoring the site. No further issues of unauthorised vehicle sales were reported.
1. Neighbourhood Development Plan
A short update was received from the Steering Group:
• Tamla Bowdler had been elected as interim Chair of the Steering Group.
• David Hunter-Miller would undertake the role of Secretary and it was agreed that an additional 6.5 hours per month could be claimed for this.
• It was felt that additional representation on the Steering Group from the farming community and Brockhampton Primary School would be useful and enquiries were being made accordingly.
• The proposed press release and community involvement strategy were approved.
• Parish Councillors may be called upon to assist with letter drops.
2. 181709 – Buckenhill Manor, Buckenhilll Manor, Buckenhill, HR7 4PG. Proposed partial removal of central dividing wall within the School House to provide a single open room; the removal of the modern mezzanine structure to the east end and the construction of a smaller mezzanine area to the west end of the School House; open the central window on the south elevation to create a pair of central entrance doors.
The Parish Council agreed to write in support of the proposals.
8. Parish matters for discussion/decision
1. Meeting schedule
The Parish Council agreed to continue with monthly meetings but this would be reviewed in future as required.
2. Code of Conduct
Herefordshire Council’s revised 2018 policy was adopted.
3. Clater Park
Consideration was given to ongoing planning, enforcement and drainage matters.
4. School Parking
There was concern at cars parking on the footway outside the school, to the detriment of visibility and road safety. A suggestion would be raised with the BDCA and the school to see if the nearby car park might be extended.
1. Clerk’s salary and expenses – £386.25
2. HMRC (PAYE) – £86.00
3. HALC (membership) – £525.11
The above payments were agreed and cheques duly signed.
4. To consider and approve budget expenditure
The budget expenditure was approved and signed by the Chairman.
5. To consider and approve the bank reconciliation
The bank reconciliation was approved and signed by the Chairman.
6. To self-certify exemption from external audit
The Parish Council certified itself exempt from external audit and the certificate of exemption was duly signed.
7. To consider and approve the Annual Internal Audit Report
The internal auditor’s report was considered and it was noted that there were no recommendations requiring action.
8. To consider and approve the Annual Governance Statement
The Annual Governance Statements were considered individually. All statements were agreed in the affirmative and the Statement was signed by the Chairman and Clerk.
9. To consider and approve the Accounting Statements
The Statement of Accounts was considered and agreed by the Council and was signed by the Chairman and Clerk.
10. Councillors’ reports and Items for the next agenda
It was noted that the bags of ballast used to temporarily close the A44 layby were deteriorating and this would be brought to the attention of Herefordshire Council and the need for permanent closure would be reiterated.
The following items were agreed for the next agenda:
• Facebook page for Neighbourhood Development Plan and/or Parish Council
• Use of drones on Bromyard Downs
11. Date of the next meeting
The next scheduled meeting is at 7:30PM Thursday 19th July 2018.
The meeting closed at 21:10PM.