Meeting of the Parish Council at 7:30PM on Thursday 15th November 2018 at Bromyard and Winslow Town Council Offices
Present: Dave Cave (Vice Chair), Clive Brazier, David Boddington, Gill Williams, Helen Allan, Karen Rock
In attendance: David Hunter-Miller (Clerk), Nigel Shaw (Ward Councillor)
1. Election of a Chairman and signing the Declaration of Acceptance of Office
It was noted the Paul Friend had resigned from the Council; accordingly Dave Cave (Vice-Chair) called the meeting to order.
Dave Cave was elected Chairman and signed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office.
2. Apologies for absence
Apologies were received from Shaun Simpson.
3. Declarations of interest
5. Open Session
The meeting was adjourned for the open session.
1. Report from the Ward Councillor
Nigel Shaw provided a report on Herefordshire Council:
• The draft budget would result in an increase in council tax of 4.9%.
• £5.2 million was available from the government for road repairs and infrastructure. It was hoped that Burying Lane, among other roads in the group parish, would benefit from this funding. Further details would be announced in the New Year.
• There was a consultation exercise to consider a 7.5T weight limit on some roads in Bromyard. Cllr Shaw had put forward The Downs Road for inclusion in these proposals.
• Councillors and residents were encouraged to keep reporting potholes and highway defects.
Concern was raised at potential planning enforcement issues in the group parish.
2. Report from Bromyard Downs Common Association
A report was given on the activities of the BDCA.
• The Harriers Running Club was looking to use The Downs.
• Herefordshire Council was looking to transfer The Downs for a nominal fee.
• An application was being made under the Higher Tier Countryside Stewardship scheme.
3. Report from Bringsty Common Manorial Court
A report was given on the activities of the BCMC.
• A consultant was writing a plan to allow application to the Higher Tier Countryside Stewardship scheme.
• A woodland maintenance plan was also being prepared.
• Owl boxes were due to be installed.
4. Public participation
No members of the public were in attendance.
The meeting resumed following the open session.
6. To consider and adopt the minutes from the Parish Council meetings on the 19th July 2018, 20th September 2018 and 18th October 2018.
It was resolved to adopt the minutes as a true record and they were signed by the Chair.
7. Progress reports
1. Vacancies and co-option
Following the resignation of Paul Friend it was noted that there were currently 8 vacancies on the Parish Council, however there would only be 3 vacancies following implementation of the Community Governance Review.
2. Community Governance Review
The Community Governance Review had been approved by Herefordshire Council and the number of seats on Brockhampton Group Council would be reduced from 15 to 10 from April 2019.
8. To note the following urgent decisions approved by the Clerk under delegated authority:
1. NDP Household questionnaire and use of ‘reply paid’ envelopes
2. NDP Household questionnaire printing costs (up to £150.00)
3. NDP Community engagement event plan
4. NDP Evidence base and strategic policies listings
The above decisions were noted.
1. Litter Innovation Trial
Herefordshire Council’s litter innovation trial was noted.
1. Neighbourhood Development Plan
An update on the activities of the Steering Group was received.
The household questionnaire had been delivered to 318 properties; so far 90 responses had been received (about 30%). It was hoped to achieve a 60% return and so the Steering Group had requested assistance from the Parish Council in chasing up remaining responses.
It was resolved to approve the commencement of the ‘call for sites’ process, starting January 2019.
2. 183938/F: Linton Mill, Malvern Road, Bringsty, Worcester, Herefordshire WR6 5TH. Proposed new field shelter.
It was resolved that the Parish Council had no objections or concerns.
11. Parish matters for discussion/decision
1. Standing Orders
It was resolved to adopt revised standing orders in line with NALC’s recommendations LO9-18 and to increase the maximum expenditure under the Clerk’s delegation to £1,500.00
2. Meeting schedule
It was resolved to change the regular meeting date to the third Wednesday of the month.
3. Bromyard Christmas Lights Association Ltd
It was resolved to approve a donation of £100.00; the payment would be authorised at the next meeting.
The Clerk would pass on comments that the lights were being switched on too early this year.
4. Clater Park
No update was available on this matter.
HALC’s latest training schedule was noted. It was resolved to arrange a training session when new members had been co-opted to the council.
1. To consider and approve budget expenditure
It was resolved to approve the budget expenditure.
2. To consider and approve the bank reconciliation
It was resolved to approve the bank reconciliation.
3. To consider and approve the budget and precept requirements for 2019/20
It was resolved to adopt the budget for 2019/20 and to set the precept at £8,500.00
4. Clerk’s salary and expenses – £373.52
5. HMRC (PAYE) – £83.40
It was resolved to settle the above invoices and cheques were duly signed.
6. To note payment of Clerk’s salary and expenses 18/10/18 – £722.81
7. To note payment of HMRC (PAYE) 18/10/18 – £ 83.20
8. To note payment of Plancopy & Print Services Ltd (NDP printing) 18/10/18 – £110.50
9. To note payment of DJN Planning Limited (NDP consultant) 18/10/18 – £1282.40
10. To note payment of Royal Mail Group Ltd (freepost address) 18/10/18 – £262.80
11. To note DD payment of Information Commissioner (registration) 08/10/18 – £35.00
12. To note payment of Clerk’s salary and expenses 20/09/18 – £347.69
13. To note payment of HMRC (PAYE) 20/09/18 – £83.40
14. To note payment of HALC (internal audit) 20/09/18 – £180.00
15. To note payment of Bromyard & Winslow Town Council (room hire) 20/09/18- £32.40
16. To note setting up of Direct Debit payment of £35.00 (annually) to the Information Commissioner 20/09/18
17. To note payment of Clerk’s salary and expenses 16/08/18 – £368.42
18. To note payment of HMRC (PAYE) 16/08/18 – £83.20
The above payments, made under the Clerk’s delegation arrangements, were noted.
13. Councillors’ reports and Items for the next agenda
The Parish Council extended their thanks to Herefordshire Council and Balfour Beatty for the road markings on the A44.
An issue was reported with the floodlights at Porthouse Business Centre, it was felt that the lights required cowling to prevent light pollution on The Downs; Nigel Shaw agreed to look into this.
The Parish Council extended their thanks to the Clerk for his work over the last few months.
14. Date of the next meeting
The next scheduled meeting is at 7:30PM on Wednesday 16th January 2019.
A resolution was passed to exclude members of the public due to the confidential nature of the following item.
15. Contract of employment
The Clerk’s employment terms and conditions were reviewed. It was resolved to increase the Clerk’s salary to SCP28 (NJC 2018-2019 National Salary Scale) and increase the contracted working hours to 7 hours per week.
It was resolved that an additional 2 hours per week could be claimed for work on the Parish Council’s Neighbourhood Development Plan; the costs for this could be offset against available grant funding.
The meeting closed at 21:13PM.