Meeting of the Parish Council at 7:30PM on Wednesday 8th January 2020 at Bromyard & Winslow Town Council Offices
Present: Clive Brazier (Chair), Lindsey Vernalls, David Boddington, Shaun Simpson, Helen Allan
In attendance: David Hunter-Miller (Clerk), Nigel Shaw (Ward Councillor), member of the public
1. Apologies for absence
Apologies were received from Karen Rock.
2. Declarations of interest
4. Open Session
The meeting was adjourned for the open session.
4.1. Ward Councillor
Nigel Shaw provided a report as follows:
• Station Road, Bromyard, will be closed from the 20th January to the 13th March to facilitate maintenance works that aim to bring the road up to adoptable highway standards.
• Co-funding for road safety improvements and Smart Water kits is available through the Police and Crime Commissioner.
• Enquiries were ongoing regarding the light pollution issues (item 6.2).
• The bus shelter (item 10.1) had been taken down and is currently in storage.
4.2. Bromyard Downs Common Association
The following report was noted:
• The footway/cycleway proposals for the old railway line received total support and it was considered that it would be a major asset for the community.
• The Town Council would be contacted regarding the appointment of a new representative for the BDCA.
• There was a discussion on whether permission should be withheld for the hunt to cross the Downs following damage to the wet ground last year which was not repaired. Following a vote permission was granted and the hunt agreed to repair any damage to the waterlogged ground. The charity dog walk will continue to be held on the same day as the hunt.
4.3. Bringsty Common Manorial Court
No report was available.
4.4. Public participation
A member of the public spoke regarding planning application P193787/FH (item 8.1) and raised a number of concerns. It was strongly asserted that previous applications have created a number of drainage problems that have impacted upon the nearby right of way and farmland. It is felt that this new application will further exacerbate these issues due to the increase in hard surfacing and the removal of a number of mature trees from this site.
The meeting resumed following the open session.
5. To consider and adopt the minutes from the Parish Council meeting on the 20th November 2019
It was resolved to adopt the minutes as a true record and they were duly signed by the Chair.
6. Progress reports
6.1. Councillor vacancies
It was noted that there were still three vacancies on the Parish Council.
6.2. Light pollution, Bromyard Downs
Nigel Shaw was still looking into these concerns.
It was noted that there were also light pollution issues arising from the Linton industrial estate and councillors would investigate further.
6.3. Damaged grit bin, B4203
A damaged grit bin had been reported on the Buckenhill Road (by the bus shelter) and Balfour Beatty Living Places had replaced the bin.
6.4. Cycle/walk way, old Leominster to Worcester railway line
The following update was noted:
• Feedback from the various councils and bodies along the route had been very enthusiastic. There have also been 84 expressions of interest, support and help following the initial Bromyard Facebook post.
• Sustrans have been approached for an official quotation for a Feasibility Study which is hoped will be available early January, this will be followed-up with a meeting with the lead engineer from Sustrans to cover initial thoughts and understanding. The study will cover the whole route from the Bransford Junction through to Leominster.
7.1. Herefordshire Council: To note the availability of Short Breaks Capital Grant funding.
It was noted that up to £5,000 grant funding was available to support activities for children with disabilities.
8.1. P193787/FH: Clater Park Bringsty Worcester Herefordshire WR6 5TP. Construction of tennis court in south west corner of garden and planting of shrubberies and trees.
Members expressed concern regarding this application and resolved to object to the proposals.
The site has a delicate drainage balance that has been compromised by previous construction works on this site, to the detriment of a nearby public right of way and adjacent farmland which remain unusable due to continual contaminated run-off from this site. It is asserted that this application will further exacerbate these issues because of the increase in hard surfacing and the removal of mature trees. The Parish Council would query the findings of the drainage report and would encourage more thorough evaluation of the site drainage conditions.
The Parish Council remain dissatisfied that many outstanding issues related to previous applications (previously raised with Herefordshire Council) have still not yet been resolved. Should this application be approved the Parish Council would urge the planning authority to monitor the works on site to ensure that they are constructed in accordance with the approved plans.
8.2. P194003/L: The Clock House Brockhampton Mews Bringsty Worcester Herefordshire WR6 5TB. Replacement of existing single glazed timber window units with a new timber framed slim-line double glazed unit. Two new rooflights to the south elevation.
It was resolved that the Parish Council had no objection or concerns.
8.3. P194046/A: Brockhampton Estate Bringsty Herefordshire WR6 5TB, Retention of existing banner board.
It was resolved that the Parish Council had no objections but would lodge comments regarding the position and size of the sign.
9. Neighbourhood Development Plan
9.1. NDP Housing Site Assessment addendum
DJN Planning had produced a Housing Site Assessment Addendum to review the feedback and the additional sites proposed at the recent Community Engagement Event.
There are now three sites in the frame for consideration for housing allocation, however a number of potential highway concerns have been raised and so feedback has been requested from Herefordshire Council before any final decisions are made. It was hoped that this feedback would be available in time for the next scheduled NDP Steering Group Meeting and Parish Council meeting (19th February 2020).
9.2. NDP grant funding
It was noted that the initial £8563 grant allocation had now been fully spent. However, as the Parish Council are allocating housing as part of the NDP it will be eligible for a further £8,000 grant and this will be applied for April 2020; this will be more than sufficient to cover all future expenditure and consultants fees.
10. Parish matters for discussion/decision
10.1. Bus shelter
It was noted that Nigel Shaw was continuing to make enquires.
10.2. Notice board
Revised quotes had been obtained for the purchase of a new notice board at Linton; including a header board, fixings and delivery the purchase cost would be £892.78 +VAT. Accordingly it was resolved to place an order with Greenbarnes and the Clerk would make arrangements to install the board.
10.3. Disciplinary procedure
It was resolved to adopt an updated policy.
10.4. Grievance procedure
It was resolved to adopt an updated policy.
11.1. Budget expenditure
The budget expenditure was considered and approved.
11.2. Bank reconciliation
The bank reconciliation was considered and approved.
11.3. Bank mandate
It was noted that the bank signatory changes had been successfully amended.
11.4.1. David Hunter-Miller (salary and expenses): £502.07
11.4.2. HMRC (PAYE): £44.00
11.4.3. Worcestershire County Council Pension Fund: £177.13
11.4.4. DJN Planning Ltd (NDP): £900.00
It was resolved to settle the above invoices and cheques were duly signed.
11.5. Clerk’s delegation
11.5.1. David Hunter-Miller (salary and expenses) 09/12/19: £484.58
11.5.2. HMRC (PAYE)09/12/19: £44.00
11.5.3. Worcestershire County Council Pension Fund 09/12/19: £177.13
The above payments made between scheduled meetings were noted.
12. Councillors’ reports and Items for the next agenda
It was resolved to add the following items to the next agenda:
• Litter bin sponsorship (Herefordshire Community Recycling)
• Maintenance of the lanes/tracks across common land (Linton)
• NDP Housing Site Assessment (following HC highway feedback)
• Light pollution (update)
• Bus shelter (update)
• Notice board (update)
13. Date of the next meeting
The next scheduled NDP Steering Group meeting is at 6:00PM on Wednesday 19th February 2020.
The next scheduled Parish Council meeting is at 7:30PM on Wednesday 19th February 2020.
The meeting closed at 21:20.