We Don’t Buy Crime Initiative
Acquisitive crime, including burglary, robbery and theft harms our communities. A person’s home and possessions often carry an emotional attachment and when a criminal interferes with this, it can have a long-lasting impact on victims. West Mercia Police is committed to protecting people from these crimes.
‘We Don’t Buy Crime’ demonstrates this commitment, by taking an innovative approach to reducing and disrupting the market for stolen goods and protecting your home and possessions by making them less attractive to the would-be criminal.
West Mercia Police is committed to our vision of protecting people from harm. We want to prevent crime from happening in the first place, but when it does happen we want to ensure that we respond to it by providing the victim with a professional and high quality service, seeking to prevent people from falling victim again. ‘We Don’t Buy Crime’ is tailored to achieve this.
By working together, we will make our communities a safer place to live in.
If you require any further assistance or information do not hesitate to contact your Safer Neighbourhood Team. If you have information about a crime, phone the police on 101 or anonymously contact the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
West Mercia Police are working in partnership with local business, SmartWater, to offer our communities the latest property marking technology to protect your home and possessions. By working together, SmartWater are offering people who live in the Warwickshire and West Mercia policing areas an exclusive opportunity to purchase a home security pack at a special promotional price of £19.95.
Local second-hand goods traders and police officers are equipped to detect the presence of SmartWater on property, increasing the likelihood that any stolen property will be reunited with its rightful owner and offenders prosecuted.
How SmartWater works:
- Assigns your valuables with their own unique forensic code, allowing them to be traced back to you
- Makes your home less of a target for thieves
- Can be used on anything from electronic equipment to jewellery
- Easy to apply, only visible under UV light – does not leave unattractive marks or stains
- Proven to work – widely used by the police and feared by criminals
- Gives added peace of mind
- Supplied with signage to warn thieves that your home is protected
- When deployed by police, SmartWater has helped reduce burglary by up to 85%
- Helps to increase prosecutions by linking criminals back to the scene of their crime